About us

Who are Team Teulu?

We are a small team of Family Engagement Officers working across all primary schools in the Llangatwg cluster to support parents and family members to get involved in school life, and help parents to have a voice in how their child learns.

We work across the school year, including school holidays to support parents and family members. We organise a number of day trips and events, fun activities, and regular coffee mornings to really get to know parents and family members, and to understand what they need support with.

As parents ourselves, we all know of the challenges and hurdles that can be encountered. We are a friendly and approachable team, who will help in any way we can. If you have any concerns or worries about your child, please get in touch with your Family Engagement Officer so that we can support you, or put you in touch with someone who can.

We run all sorts of programmes, cookery clubs, parent and child learning sessions, story sessions, arts and craft clubs, to name a few!

Our Story Sack sessions (2023)

What do we do?

We are based in schools, and can offer a range of support, including:

• Weekly coffee mornings and catch up opportunities
  • One off events and activities with your child
  • Community events
  • Stay and play groups for pre-school children and families
  • Support for parents and families around transition to year 7
  • Putting parents and families in touch with specialist teams who can help
  • Learning together opportunities
Investing in our community: Gardening club at Ynysfach Primary

Here’s what our families have shared about our service…

“Thank you so much, I’ve been so much happier the past two weeks, it’s really helped meeting someone kind and understanding”

Year 6 parent

“Her support has been amazing, it’s helped with communication with school”

Parent attending stay and play

“I just wanted to thank you again for helping us, I feel a lot calmer and it feels like a weight has been lifted, honestly”

Parent receiving support

“She is so approachable and friendly, I feel like I can talk to her about anything, even stuff in my personal life that I’m worried about”.

Parent attending coffee mornings

“Thank you for a nice day out. Without being able to drive, I never get to go to these places. You girls have been amazing”

Parent attending the Christmas shopping trip

“It’s been so nice to meet other parents, we’ve done nothing like this before, just nice to be able to go for coffee with other Mams”

Parent attending a day trip

A little bit about our funding…

We are funded by a Welsh Government Community Focused Schools grant. The funding allows us to work with schools, the community, and with our multi-agency partners to make sure our parents and families have access to the right support, at the right time, in a way that works for them.

We work in partnership with Save the Children, who has supported us to establish local networks, partnerships and links to other teams working across Neath Port Talbot. Together with Save the Children, we train school staff to develop their knowledge of how to engage effectively with parent and family members, and to develop their understanding of how parents and family members can support the delivery of the Curriculum for Wales.